[rescue] Good SOHO router for ASDL? (was: what is this traffic?)

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Wed Nov 4 09:02:24 CST 2015

On Wed, Nov 04, 2015 at 08:12:53AM -0500, Mark Brown wrote:
> On 11/4/2015 2:48 AM, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> > my router is the problem. That also somewhat explains the problem of why the switch was
..
> > So, what is a good SOHO router for ADSL?
> Heh! -Everyone- will have an opinion about this....
>
> Here is my opinion  - there isn't one - and I wouldn't waste any money
> one one!!!

I agree, anything out there is pretty horrible.
You still need the DSL modem/router from the telco to terminate the DSL
line, because halfways decent devices with ADSL ports are very pricey.
Put the modem/router into bridge mode, and move the PPPoE auth onto your
separate firewall instead.

> I'm using a PIX 515e.

I've never ever liked the PIX's.
I'd go for a used FortiGate instead.
Something like a FortiGate 100A or FortiGate 60B should be about $40
on ebay at the low end. I see a 100A for $35 now. The 60B is fanless,
but I've had to start replacing dried out caps in some of my old test ones now.
There are a few 80C that get cheap enough, but most are overpriced.

> Even a basic 2651XM will do what you are asking.... cheap and reliable too.

A bit underpowered compared to what people expect though. I certainly
setup my share of them. The ADSL card for the 2600 series isn't any "better"
than a consumer router. Guess my customers expected so much more for a
$1000 addon card when they bought them.