[rescue] Good SOHO router for ASDL? (was: what is this traffic?)

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed Nov 4 07:51:10 CST 2015

> I do have a few boxes that would work great as routers but I couldn't
> stand the noise or the heat.  Are you guys using affordable
> non-deafening cool-running hardware or are you comparing rack servers
> with consumer stuff?

My own PPPoE endpoint is a PC Engines ALIX.2 with a SanDisk "2G"
(actually only some 1953M, of course, grr) flash drive.  The flash
drive holds most of what it needs, but it does NFS-mount stuff from my
house NFS server for OS source and builds.  (If the NFS server is dead
or inaccessible, it still comes up enough to pass packets; it just
can't handle logins.)  The modem is separate and in my case is a
SpeedTouch 516, though I may get that switched to something capable of
higher bandwidth; it's syncing at only 12287/797, and sub-megabit
speeds are annoying.  My provider tells me I need a better modem to go
faster.  (I'd rather something symmetric, but I don't really expect to
get that.)

The only moving parts are electrons.

As for cool-running, I don't know how much power things are
dissipating, but it's not much.  The modem is warm to the touch; the
PCEngines box is barely detectably warm - and that's with something
sitting on it.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org