[rescue] Good SOHO router for ASDL? (was: what is this traffic?)

Mark Brown sunrescue1 at marknmel.com
Wed Nov 4 07:12:53 CST 2015

On 11/4/2015 2:48 AM, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> my router is the problem. That also somewhat explains the problem of why the switch was
> showing high traffic.
I kinda wondered that... Good now that that  component is isolated.

> So, what is a good SOHO router for ADSL?
Heh! -Everyone- will have an opinion about this....

Here is my opinion  - there isn't one - and I wouldn't waste any money
one one!!!

In the spirit of this mailing list - which doesn't seem to be limited to
rescuing SUN equipment anymore (who would want one of weird Larry's ugly
stepchildren anyway? ;-)  ) - I've taken to rescuing Cisco equipment.

I'm using a PIX 515e.  They practically give these things away on ebay
(cheaper than SOHO gear...) and will still outperform (most) consumer
grade routers.  They are fairly power efficient, but the form-factor is
a little larger than one might wish for.  I don't reboot mine.....ever!
Generally has years of uptime - until I lose my feed from the utility
for longer than the UPS will cope with. Management is fugly with Java
these days - so I keep an old VM just for management.  I run two or
three IPSEC tunnels to family computers... It runs PPPoE....

Even a basic 2651XM will do what you are asking.... cheap and reliable too.

If I want WIFI - I just turn off DHCP on a consumer grade access point,
and plug into the LAN side of the WIFI rig.

/M