[rescue] SunPCi software WAS::::Re: More basement cleaning

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed May 27 20:54:38 CDT 2015

On 05/27/2015 08:17 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>> Seems that memoryxsun has them for $16.98.
>>
>>  Yeah I was thinking something around $25 shipped.
>>
>>> I have thought about buying an Ultra 10, but don't have one yet.
>>
>>  I wouldn't.  They are garbage.  It's cheap PC crap with a hamstrung
>> UltraSPARC on the motherboard.  I suggest an Ultra30 or Ultra60
>> instead...that's standard Sun quality.
>
> Agreed, but if you want to run wit IDE drives, the Ultra 5/10 is a decent way
> to go... ;^) But, having said that, I wouldn't part with actual folding money
> for either these days.
>
> The ultra 30/60 are much, much better machines in every way imaginable (except
> weight).

  I beg to differ: They are far superior in weight.  They're heavier,
like there's actually something IN there. B-)

> Side note - I was at Dayton this year, there was a flea market vendor trying
> to sell SGI Octane 2 systems for $250, he had them running off a generator
> with a tank battle program running - slowly.

  Something was misconfigured.  Octane2s are generally screaming fast
machines, in terms of interactive performance, even by today's standards.

               -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA