[rescue] SunPCi software WAS::::Re: More basement cleaning

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed May 27 20:53:25 CDT 2015

On 05/27/2015 08:11 PM, Andrew Jones wrote:
>>    I wouldn't.  They are garbage.  It's cheap PC crap with a hamstrung
>> UltraSPARC on the motherboard.  I suggest an Ultra30 or Ultra60
>> instead...that's standard Sun quality.
>
> I had thought the U5 and U10 were just fine as long as you avoided using
> the onboard IDE controllers.
>
> Are there other hairy provisos ?

  If you're coming from the PC world, they're fine.  But I didn't come
from the PC world...I am accustomed to quality construction.  The U5/U10
machines are built from flimsy sheet metal like a consumer-grade PC case.

  I can jump up and down on an Ultra30 or Ultra60 (and I'm a big guy)
and do no damage.  The same treatment will crush a U5/U10.  Any time you
can pick up a computer chassis and visibly TWIST it indicates crap
construction.

                 -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ