[rescue] UUCP network

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon May 18 15:49:24 CDT 2015

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 09:38:26PM -0400, Cory Smelosky wrote:
> On Sun, 17 May 2015, Dave McGuire wrote:
[...]
>> The actual article files, yes. But INN keeps various accounting data
>> and indices around. I don't know how tough it would be to have multiple
>> Usenet systems accessing the same spools, overview database, etc.

In marketing-speak, that would be called a "cluster", although anybody who
actually attempted to build and run such a system would note that four
letters are missing off the end of that term.

> NFS + NIS+!

That will almost certainly break, even if there's only a single INN
accessing the shared storage. INN won't start up on a Plan 9 exported
filesystem for example, and you really don't want to know how I discovered
that :)