[rescue] UUCP network

Steven M Jones smj+rescue at crash.com
Sat May 16 15:39:11 CDT 2015

On 05/16/2015 07:17, Andrew M Hoerter wrote:
> As for the USENET part, when I had my feed ages ago I was using c-news.  It
> comes with adequate docs to get you started, and I think the OReilly UUCP
> book covers it as well.  But I havent tried c-news on any modern Unix, you
> may run into some minor troubles there.
>
> Id stay away from INN though, I remember it being a major pain to configure
> and very needy maintenance-wise, vs. c-news being dead simple.  Perhaps its
> improved since then.

I'd say rather that each package is reflective of it's era and
environment. The C News design is more influenced by the design of UUCP
itself - quirky, batch-oriented. Whereas INN is definitely a product of
the always-on TCP/IP Internet that was expanding rapidly in the early
90s, designed as a persistent, high volume, background network service
for that environment.

INN seemed totally reasonable to me, operating it on a spare Sun-3/260
for a company of 30-40 people in that era. But C News might be more of a
nostalgia kick, and perhaps you'll find it more suitable for a
retrocomputing project - even if you're using UUCP over TCP rather than
Telebit Trailblazers.

Part of me would like to pull out the Trailblazers and rig up an analog
terminal adapter... Unfortunately I won't have cycles for any aspect of
this thread for the next month or so.

--S.