[rescue] UUCP network

Andrew M Hoerter amh at POBOX.COM
Sat May 16 09:17:20 CDT 2015

On May 15, 2015, at 22:54, John Floren <john at jfloren.net> wrote:

> This is a little off-topic but I think relevant to the interests of
> this list. If I wanted to set up a system for disseminating
> USENET-style newsgroups via dial-up links, how would I get started?
> Anyone have good documentation for setting up that sort of thing?

For the UUCP layer, the Taylor docs are pretty good:
<http://www.airs.com/ian/uucp-doc/>

Id guess that most currently available Unixes with a UUCP package are likely
using Taylor, so those docs should apply directly.

As for the USENET part, when I had my feed ages ago I was using c-news.  It
comes with adequate docs to get you started, and I think the OReilly UUCP
book covers it as well.  But I havent tried c-news on any modern Unix, you
may run into some minor troubles there.

Id stay away from INN though, I remember it being a major pain to configure
and very needy maintenance-wise, vs. c-news being dead simple.  Perhaps its
improved since then.

Most of the docs out there are oriented around getting an official" USENET
feed from upstream and possibly passing a subset of it down, as opposed to
starting your own group hierarchy, which it sounds like you want to do.  The
c-news manual might explain how to run your own private groups, my memory is
hazy.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pkcs7-signature which had a name of smime.p7s]