[rescue] Sparcstation 2 OBP password recovery

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Tue May 12 12:26:31 CDT 2015

On Tue, 12 May 2015, Jerry Kemp wrote:

> I guess my Yahoo-fu is just off today.  I would expect that I could easly
> find this from a search engine.
>
> I got a call out of the blue this morning from a friend who had picked up a
> Sun Sparcstation 2.  They were trying to do install the OS, but someone had
> put a password on the OBP.
>
> Hoping that someone has a pointer to a SS 2 OBP passwd recovery page.

    I had to do this on an Ultra 10.  While I don't remember the exact
details of the procedure, basically it was:

1. Pull the cover.

2. Power on the machine until the video starts, then (quickly and
    carefully) pull the NVRAM chip to get control.

3. After the machine is halted, (carefully) reinstall the NVRAM and run
    'set-defaults'.

4. Power cycle.

    I cringed when trying this on my Ultra 10, but it worked.  Don't even
think about trying it unless you're willing to take responsibility for any
and all consequences.  :-)

    See "Odds and Ends":

http://www.menet.umn.edu/~bob/FAQ/sun-nvram-hostid.faq

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us