[rescue] ATT 3b2's WAS:::Re: looking for IBM System/36 software

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 23:46:04 CDT 2015

On 3/28/15 9:35 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
>    Very cool.  Do you remember how to crack the password?  Those sorts of
> things generally don't pose much of an obstacle for me, especially in
> the UNIX world, but this one is tough.  My next step was to connect the
> system disk (it's SCSI) to a NetBSD or Linux box and use a raw sector
> editor to zero out the field in /etc/passwd.  That will be a hassle,
> however, so if you know of a better way, I'd love to hear it.

I'll jump in here, with the caveat that it's been a long time since I've
done it *and* you'll need a working install floppy (which can be
recreated from images on the 'net) or tape (which can also be done,
assuming you have a tape drive without a capstan roller that's turned to
tar).

Boot from the installation floppy/tape; at the initial install menu it
gives you, type in "magic mode" and hit enter; the install script will
say "POOF" and from that point you'll have a shell option in the menu --
choose that, mount your hard disk and the rest should be pretty
straightforward.

Depending on the availability of boot media, just editing the sectors on
another machine might be easier :).

- Josh