[rescue] looking for IBM System/36 software

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Sat Mar 28 20:30:21 CDT 2015

I did my S/34 & S/36 work at a luxury (lake) boat manufacturer in the central
part of the country, aka BFE Kansas.  We had been on a S/34 for a few years
before we ordered the brand-spankin'-new S/36.

We had a special room for it with its own cooling and power.  FYI, this is very
early 1980's, I had no idea what a data center looked like, or if those even
existed in 1981.  This room was certainly not a raised floor data center.

Anyway, we got it in, and it seemed that we blew up parts and boards every day.
  IBM FE were on site every day replacing components and fixing things.  At some
point, someone got the idea we needed to look at the power feeding into the
S/36, this was pre UPS, at least for this company.  The power was great during
the day, but at night, it (power) was doing all kinds of funky things and
killing S/36 parts.  Once the S/36 was getting fed clean power, all the problems
disappeared and it was smooth sailing from there on out.

Jerry