[rescue] VirtualBox anecdotes - was Re: A wee bit off-topic

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Wed Jun 24 11:38:58 CDT 2015

I realize you think I was talking about window managers, however, it goes far, far deeper than that.

With Next, first, everything you saw was based on Display PostScript - which was then rendered onto the bitmapped screen.  So there was no dichotomy between display and print.  This is basically the guts behind the PDF part of OSX's Quartz code (PDF is basically a dumbed-down PS without certain unsafe primitives).

Second, the real power of NS was in the integration - drag and drop was very intelligent and could be extended by apps you installed.

While you can have some trivial integration in Linux, the reality is that it doesn't go very far, if at all.  None of the apps understand each other and so the whole messaging and delegation part simply is not present.

Third, the Dock was genius.

BTW look at the evolution of the OSX Dock and Windows bars here:  http://www.neowin.net/news/mac-dock-and-windows-7-superbar---part-1

lots of innovation in the last 15 years, eh?

Cheers

Patrick