[rescue] VirtualBox anecdotes - was Re: A wee bit off-topic

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Mon Jun 22 02:54:12 CDT 2015

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 05:30:02PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Reminds me of the New stork Socialite that was amazed to hear Nixon was
> elected President, since no one she knew voted for him. [0]
>
> As you drive past high-rise office buildings, there are thousands upon
> thousands of windows users inside. As you look at a map of the world, the most
> populous countries (China, Russia, India, USA) are majority Windows users.

Uh, yeah but that's because the people in the first three countries get free
copies and the people in the last country get to pay for a copy of it (but
not the actual media) on every "computer" they buy whether they want it or
not.

> Every electronics store you pass sells Windows PCs by the pallet each
> week

Indeed that's just a harbinger of better things to come. They go out of
service the same way! ;-)

> I seriously doubt MS 'bought' the survey results, if only because I rarely
> have heard them tout market share as a selling point. Could they buy survey
> results? Sure, but to what end?

I think it's the "can't buy a computer without it installed" thing that
accounts for the "popularity" along with the fact most people do want
entertainment appliances or a GUI email client rather than computers. The
fact that stuff needs a computer is just incidental.