[rescue] VirtualBox anecdotes - was Re: A wee bit off-topic

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Jun 21 14:51:10 CDT 2015

  Yep...With enough money, one can buy a survey to "prove" anything one
wants to prove.

  Personally, in my daily socio-business circles, I know precisely THREE
people who use Windows.  That makes for about 10%.  Granted I don't have
the patience to suffer stupid people readily, and I don't hang out with
gamers, but there's a data point.

              -Dave

On 06/21/2015 03:39 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> By some accounts, about 90%+ of all desktops on the planet are windows
> boxes...
>
> https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=9&qpc
> ustomb=0
>
> Lionel
>
>> On Jun 21, 2015, at 11:47 AM, Andrew Jones <andrew at jones.ec> wrote:
>>
>>> On 06/21/2015 12:40 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>> Hyper-V is available freely (as in beer) and is VERY capable in it's
> latest
>>> iteration. It can host Debian/Ubuntu VMs easily, as well as, of course, a
>>> wide-range of Windows OSs.
>>>
>>> Also, windows 8 and beyond includes Hyper-V in the desktop OS, but it has
> some
>>> unusual processor requirements beyond those of the server edition of
> Hyper-V
>>> (SLAT support).
>>>
>>> http://m.windowsitpro.com/hyper-v/requirements-running-hyper-v-windows-8
>>
>> But who keeps a Windows box at home?