[rescue] VirtualBox anecdotes - was Re: A wee bit off-topic

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Tue Jun 16 13:27:43 CDT 2015

    On Tue, 16 Jun 2015, Toby Thain wrote:

> On 2015-06-16 6:56 AM, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>
>>     This one's a we bit off-topic for this list, but given the crowd
>> I thought I'd stand a chance of a hit anyway.
>>
>>     Who here works with Sun's VirtualBox atop Linux?
>
> The host was Ubuntu (typically 8 or 16GB RAM) and the guest was RHEL.

    In this case, the motherboard is a SuperMicro device with 128G of
mainstore and 32 cores running CentOS 7 because that was the only thing
that had new enough drivers.  It boots from SSD, but the VM images are
all on a 4T RAID-10 array implemented using Linux volume-manager.  The
system was new last December (2014).  It exhibits no other symptoms.

    The guests are a wandom mix of RHEL and CentOS systems of various
revisions and types.

    I'm mainly interested if anybody else has seen similar problems
as simply doing a "vboxmanage showvminfo {VM_name} --machinereadable"
should *not* result in vboxmanage hanging.

    Cheers!