[rescue] A wee bit off-topic

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Tue Jun 16 10:30:07 CDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 06:08:26PM +0300, Meelis Roos wrote:
> > >From some laptop manufacturers, the same model laptop with an "identical"
> > configuration/part-number is not "identical".  That is, even from some
> > manufacturers use different parts in the same part number.  The current
> > crop of laptops and manufacturers may have cleaned up these types of
> > problems.
> >
> > This can present the type of problems that you described.
>
> Possibly, but they were of one big batch bought together, for the
> students.

That doesn't mean anything. When I started out long ago doing OEM
builds, we'd use whatever we could find, even if they wanted a big
batch, it was still picked from whatever worked and was on the shelf,
nothing was consistant. Memory was always ordered in in small batches,
peripherals changed from batch to batch. Etc. Etc.

I'd actually suspect memory though. There were plenty of times when a
quick memtest worked, but an extended extensive memory test would turn
up things. Also at the time motherboards were pretty crappy. They are
better now-a-days, we'd have a fail rate of something like 5-8% all
the time on motherboards/memory, video cards, etc.