[rescue] Solaris vs sparclinux

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Mon Jun 15 08:46:57 CDT 2015

> > Trying OpenBSD is an interesting idea, maybe I will try some time if
> > it is easily enough netbootable.
>
> I've never tried Open, but Net certainly is, and so I would expect Open
> to be as well.

My laste experience with FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD on sparc64 was
years ago. Back then. NetBSD was the only one that had easy to use
netinst (tftp loads kernel + ramdisk, nothing more needed). The others
required bootparamd + nfs in addition to tftp and there were not readily
available in my home network so I reverted to CD.

Tried OpenBSD 5.7 sparc64 now. Netinst is still inconvenient so I used
install57.iso from CD and it installed fine wit no troulble at all (just
had to wait till I happen to be near the server).

Now, for benchmarks, I have not gotten far - pkg_add installed git fine
but my first step of cloning a big repo already failed:

$ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
Cloning into 'linux'...
remote: Counting objects: 4153047, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (4153047/4153047), 921.61 MiB | 1.11 MiB/s, done.
fatal: Out of memory, malloc failed (tried to allocate 40960 bytes)
fatal: index-pack failed

There wa more than 15G RAM free, on a 64-bit system...

Maybe I will try some other way later, but it was a bad surprise.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)