[rescue] Solaris vs sparclinux

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Sat Jun 13 01:58:40 CDT 2015

> What's the point of me writing all of this?  Just hope you are comparing
> oranges to oranges, especially when you are working with T-series systems.

I believe it was oranges for oranges because both OS-es were running on
the same hardware and using the same test (same git, same hackbench,
...). It's not like comparing a x86+linux with sparc+solaris.

But the test may not be very relevant for other reasons - it's just my
workload that I run on most of my test boxes, including ultrasparcs from
Ultra 1 143 MHz to T2000. I just chose T2000 since that was the latest
and greatest sparc box I had running. Could aslo run it on some US-III
box but T2000 seemed more interesting.

However, that does not mean I would suggest sparclinux for most
production uses. While T2000 has run fine for some years, other sparcs
sometimes break with newer kernel/libc and stability is not 100%
predictable.

Trying OpenBSD is an interesting idea, maybe I will try some time if it
is easily enough netbootable.

I also tried Gentoo Linux, wondering if it would use the full
optimizations. But the results were disappointing - -mcpu=niagara but
still noticably slower than Debian, including with the same kernel
image.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)