[rescue] RPi vs SS20 benchmarks (interesting)

Andrew M Hoerter amh at pobox.com
Thu Dec 31 22:14:33 CST 2015

On 12/31/15 12:59, Jonathan Patschke wrote:

> Is there a way to solve the transparency/verbosity problem that would
> satisfy more people, though?  On one hand, the filesystems add clutter to
> df and get in the way of rsync, but, on the other, having it specifically
> called out means you know something might be different.

Unfortunately, the traditional df/du tools are not well-adapted to ZFS,
to the point of being uninformative or even misleading in some cases.
This seems unlikely to change, for historical reasons.

I think it's ultimately down to the sysadmin defining which metrics are
important, and then using the native tools (zfs, zpool) to extract and
summarize them in a meaningful way, possibly with shell aliases or
wrappers.  ZFS just works differently, even though those differences can
oftentimes be ignored in practice.