[rescue] RPi vs SS20 benchmarks (interesting)

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Dec 30 15:07:14 CST 2015

On Wed, 30 Dec 2015, Dave McGuire wrote:

>> But pretty much of that all went away with Solaris 11, allowing for
>> booting thru ZFS under various RAID types.
>
>  Ahh ok, I speak only of Solaris 10.  I know little of Solaris 11; is it
> "out there" and runnable on SPARC systems?

For very-recent SPARC systems, yes.

Solaris 11 feels like the OS that Solaris 10 was a painful beta for, but
managing it doesn't feel much like managing Unix.  That might not be a bad
thing.

I'd be inclined to run it instead of FreeBSD/amd64 at home and on
consulting gigs, but Oracle's rapacious license fees stand in the way of
that.

--
Jonathan Patschke
Austin, TX