[rescue] RPi vs SS20 benchmarks (interesting)

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Tue Dec 29 22:42:38 CST 2015

On 12/29/15 08:05 PM, Mark Linimon wrote:

> As a matter of fact, FreeBSD got ZFS before Linux did :-)  Thus, we've
> had more time to work out the kinks.

Till something different happens with the linux licensing model, I'm not
convinced that it will ever "officially" have ZFS.   Reviewing the

http://www.zfsonlinux.org/

web site, ZFS is still an add-on item.  Looks like the last code release was on
13 October 2015.  Pretty recent.

>> No memory-related crashes at all, which rather surprised me given the
>> combination of ZFS and 4GB of RAM.
>
> Early on, ZFS was more greedy with memory than it is now.

I don't know that this was ever resolved from a general OS perspective.
Supporting "highly" memory hungry applications, I'm still manually holding back
the ARC (in /etc/system) from grabbing everything on boot.

If you look at the docs and code for the OpenSolaris ARM port, there is a
special version of ZFS, called CZFS, for usage in low memory/embedded devices.

*BSD - Probably a "master of the obvious" statement, but in my experience, *BSD
releases have always excelled in my observation in the ability to slim down and
fly on small, light-weight, old hardware.  At least vs. any other x86 Unix or
Unix-clone I have worked with.

Jerry