[rescue] RPi vs SS20 benchmarks (interesting)

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Mon Dec 28 10:03:35 CST 2015

On 12/27/15 20:13, Steve Sandau wrote:
> I agree. Slackware is one of the better ones; it's my choice. Most of
> the processes that surprise me are from the window manager (yes, I use
> KDE), but there's more control there, at least I think so.
>
> The bloat is not so much linux, but the distribution and the window manager.

Yup.  And KDE isn't as bad in that regard as Gnome, which is ever more
awful with every new release (even WITHOUT Gnome3 having systemd as a
hard requirement), but it's still pretty bad.

I actually don't run any of the "major mainstream" DEs.  I have my own
desktop built using fvwm.  It's minimal, it's fast, it's lightweight, it
looks great, and it's customized to a degree not remotely possible (to
my knowledge) with either KDE or Gnome.  To someone used to the Windows
metaphor it doesn't even *look* like a desktop.  There are no icons, no
toolbars, and no menus until you ask for one; just the pager and
procmeter3.  I have what amounts to a cube of 64 virtual desktops (four
planes, 4x4 each) accessible with a couple of mouse clicks.  And it's
been essentially unchanged (aside from rescales for monitor resolution
upgrades) for ... must be approaching 20 years now.  I have never ONCE
had to relearn the UI.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications