[rescue] [off-topic] What was this markup language?

Andrew M Hoerter amh at pobox.com
Tue Dec 8 20:00:23 CST 2015

On 12/8/15 16:10, Jonathan Patschke wrote:

> I'll second this request.  I've used LaTeX heavily over the years, and
> there are things that interest me about DocBook (easier programmatic
> generation of documents being the big thing), but I'd really prefer
> something that's in the middle of LaTeX, DocBook, and Markdown for
> preparing invoices and other data-driven documents for print.

I wrote a good-sized document in DocBook in its earlier days.  As far as
the markup language itself, it's reasonable enough, although mainly
targeted at the computer documentation niche.

Things may have improved since then, but at the time, there was pretty
much only one usable toolchain for producing output, and it was very
slow in addition to being complex and creaky.

On the plus side, it's XML so you can leverage existing tools.  On the
minus side... it's XML.

I'd likely not use it again.