[rescue] [off-topic] What was this markup language?

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 12:55:23 CST 2015

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 12:20 PM, Laurence Brevard <brevard at 1or0.com> wrote:

> As for text markup today... Markdown seems to be increasingly used as a
> quick way to generate formatted text in HTML.
> https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/
>
> I ran into it first with the enhanced version at GitHub:
> https://help.github.com/articles/github-flavored-markdown/
>
> FWIW... I really detest TeX and LaTeX but I think that's mostly due to
> the personalities and self-righteous attitudes of all the people I know
> who use it! ;-)

Jupyter Notebooks (http://www.jupyter.org) implement both regular and
github flavored markdown. And LaTeX support for math and stuff.

http://jupyter.cs.brynmawr.edu/hub/dblank/public/Jupyter%20Notebook%20Users%20Manual.ipynb

Not surprising it supports LaTex, as Jupyter notebook is a practical
"literate programming" platform, another Don Knuth concept. Combine this
with the bash kernel for jupyter (or any of the other 50+ languages it
supports
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/IPython-kernels-for-other-languages)
and you can do not only a computational narrative, but you can use it to
publish a book (http://jeroenjanssens.com/2015/02/19/ibash-notebook.html),
with code and output that was actually tested. Reproducible stuff.

Francois
--
raspberry-python.blogspot.com - www.pyptug.org - www.3DFutureTech.info -
@f_dion