[rescue] [geeks] Looking for a sysadmin gig in Houston/remote

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Dec 3 18:28:24 CST 2015

On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 07:27:06AM +0000, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
>Which used to be the BMC HQ? I mentioned to Bill a few years ago but I saw
>BMC go from rented office space all around town (and Houston is a BIG town,
>covering more than 500 square miles) to building their own campus with an
>office tower, parking deck etc. That was when they were still a little
>engineering driven and still had the ego and the people to be the best at
>what they did.

Only the "Landmark Graphics" division (my end of the company) was in one of
the buildings at the BMC campus.  We were in Building 2 at first, then
everyone took over most of Building 4, but the datacenter stayed on the 2nd
floor of B2.  Which made emergency fixes and such awkward, as we had to go to
the other building.

In mid 2014 they finally consolidated (as promised in 2008-9) everyone from
the BMC campus into a newly-refurbished-and-remodeled Halliburton building at
BW8/Bellaire.

We called it "Halcatraz" because from the road it looks like a prison.  I
think it was the former Brown & Root building in the 70s.

So now they only have two locations in Houston - Bellaire, and the facility
out by the airport.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford