[rescue] [geeks] Looking for a sysadmin gig in Houston/remote

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Thu Dec 3 07:42:44 CST 2015

On 12/03/15 03:10, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> You would think that by now, someone would have noticed that the high tech
> companies in Japan and South Korea often have long term employees who know
> all about the company, or engineer types, as CEO.  And they often kick
> their USA based competition in the butt.

When America helped Japan rebuild after WW2, we sent over all kinds of
manufacturing experts to tell them how to run a manufacturing process
efficiently and with effective quality control.

The difference is, the Japanese LISTENED and put it into practice, while
US manufacturers talked it up until they were blue in the face but
couldn't be bothered to actually follow their own advice themselves.
And that's a major reason why Japanese manufacturing ate American
manufacturers' breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Plus, the Japanese actually
*took responsibility* for their errors and fixed them, while American
managers by-and-large looked for scapegoats to blame.

There is a possibly-apocryphal story about IBM's first major order of
components from a Japanese subcontractor.  The contract from IBM
stipulated that there should be no more than four defective parts per
thousand.  As the story has it, when the first crate arrived, the
receiving department opened it up to find a small package sitting in the
top of the crate, containing a small bag of components and a note.

The note read, "We do not understand why you wish to have four defective
parts per thousand, but for your convenience, we have packaged the
defective components separately."

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications