[rescue] In Realtime: Saving 25, 000 Manuals ??? August 15, 2015

Bob Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 14:10:22 CDT 2015

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 12:14 PM, Steven M Jones <smj+rescue at crash.com>
wrote:

> On 08/21/2015 09:49, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> I, and I assume others would be interested in having our own time source
>> (for
>> me the issue purely for geek points)... I'm interested in anything that
>> can be
>> cheaply cobbled together to accomplish that end.
>>

> There are a few examples of projects like this which I keep meaning to
> build, like the following:
>
>     https://puck.nether.net/~majdi/ntp/
>
> I've got an older/slower net4501 unit set aside for this.

I duplicated much of this project: https://www.febo.com/pages/soekris/
And here are some pics/info: http://www.nerdhouse.org/projects/timeserver/

I found the soekris boards to be flaky to say the least.  I couldn't keep
the damn thing running for more than a week or two at a time.  My best
guess was it didn't like anything but very clean power but have no real
idea.  It didn't seem worth it to me to continue so I shelved the thing.
It was fun, but ultimately being less than 99.99% reliable simply was
outside of what I'm trying to do.  Other people have built them with much
better success than I.

-Bob