[rescue] Whither Solaris 10

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Wed Apr 29 14:05:14 CDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 11:35:01AM -0700, Laurens Vets wrote:

> Do you know anything about the Lemote Yeeloong 8133 Loongson 3A laptop?
> (http://lemote.kd85.com/pdf/lemote-loongson-3a.pdf) Is it finally
> available?

No, I don't. If you follow Debian-mips and misc at openbsd you may have seen
some stuff coming. It seems to me there have been a lot of commits to the
Linux kernel and parts of Debian over the past couple years on the 3A and
even some on the older 2F. It's getting attention but I didn't see that
anybody is saying they got hardware to run it on.

Whichever or both OS you're interested in, you should ask directly on the
lists. I noticed many times the guys that have preview equipment or are
working on new stuff don't want to talk too much about it but they will
answer questions either privately or on the lists if somebody asks.

It would be worth searching gmane first and then asking if anybody has one,
when they think it will be ready for release, etc.

Looking quickly, here's a post on openbsd.misc from the Loongson maintainer
back in 2011 asking for help locating a 3A.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.openbsd.misc/191763/match=loongson+3a

And here's another discouraging one that suggests 3A support is non-trivial
and at that time there were supply problems.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.openbsd.misc/197537

I didn't find anything more recent than that, and that was July, 2012 so
things are not looking very good. Hopefully you can turn up some more recent
information. If they are not sold on the foreign market you can sometimes
find list members who will be willing to grab one for you. But it remains to
be seen what will run on it. I suspect Linux will but there will probably be
some spit and bailing wire required. What else will work on it, I have no
idea. And this is all if it even exists...