[rescue] Whither Solaris 10

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Mon Apr 27 20:32:12 CDT 2015

    On Mon, 27 Apr 2015, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On 04/27/2015 07:36 PM, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>>    Have Oracle stopped development on Solaris 10?  I took a look the
>> other evening and it seems the last version that's available is from
>> 2013 -- hardly current.  Is it dead?
>
>  I dunno Carl, mine sure doesn't look dead.  Does it really matter if
> they're still doing releases on that track or not?

    It depends on one's perspective.  The pure historian in me could
give a rat's arse (poor rat) as to whether any particular system, OS,
or architecture is "dead" or not.  Sometimes the dead ones are more
interesting and useful than "live" ones.  However, if one is doing
active development work on a software package that one hopes will
gain further acceptance -- in something other than the GNU/Linux/
Intel world -- then one would like to have something with a bit of
traction behind it, and it doesn't seem that Solaris 10 does any
longer.

    As has been said regarding the Second Amendment to the US
Constitution, "You can have these from me when you pry them from my
cold dead fingers." -- and this applies to my elder hardware and
software.  However, there's little point in keeping up a current
development fight against GNU/Linux when there's no industry
support behind a platform.  I *could* get Icinga running on my
Intergraph CLIPPER-based kit, but since I may be the only one left
on the planet who runs such things, it's not the best place to
devote effort unless it's for love itself.

    Hence my question.  Sometimes, I know when to walk away.

    Cheers!