[rescue] looking for IBM System/36 software

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Apr 9 10:15:35 CDT 2015

On 04/09/2015 08:30 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> As I recall, the AS/400s were also very interesting machines - from a
> technology implementation perspective. I seem to recall they could emulate (in
> microcode?) earlier System/36-type systems...

  As I understand it, one or two very early models of AS/400 have this
ability.  Apparently they can run an entire copy of SSP (the System/36
operating system) in what amounts to a virtual machine.

  Very interesting indeed.

  I am hoping to learn a lot more about that.  There's some very
interesting technology in those machines.  All my life I had dismissed
them as dull, closed, "all business" machines, where my focus has always
been on scientific computing.  But dull they most certainly are
not...those IBMers did some really good stuff in those designs.  They
really knew what they were doing.

                -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ/3