[rescue] "In My Way", 2015 Edition

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Tue Apr 7 16:30:36 CDT 2015

    On Tue, 7 Apr 2015, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> The V240 is rated at 'under' 7.1 bels -
> http://www.andovercg.com/datasheets/sun-fire-v240-server.pdf

    I believe that normal human conversation takes place at around
68 decibels (6.8 b), so being close to a V240/245 would make polite
conversation difficult.  There's also the character of the noise;
most of it comes from either 2 or 4 10,000 RPM mini-fans attached
to the CPU heat-sinks (if you have one CPU you have two of the
dratted things; 2 CPUs, 4 fans).  The noise footprint adds up fast.

    If you get one, stock up on the heat-sink fans; they do not have
a long service life, and you'll fry the CPUs if both die at the same
time and the thing doesn't power off.

    They're delightful machines in a commercial setting, but would be
rather too loud in a residential setting.  I also believe they're FCC
Class-A equipment, not that that matters much to the crowd here.  I'd
like a couple here for occasional use, but blanch at the thought of
sharing my study with them.

    Cheers!