[rescue] SS5/Netra Progress of sorts...

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 01:20:12 CDT 2014

Hi William

The speed of the NVRAM is of no consequence here, you can use any of them,
whichever is available and the cheapest.

As mentioned before, you can temporarily set the NVRAM values up when at the
ok prompt, the Squirrel website has a load on this but essentially you want to
do the following at the ok> prompt

1) Make sure the current checksum is invalid

80 1 mkp

2) Setup the values (note machine type on SS5 is 80)

8 0 20 12 34 56 80123456 mkpl

Then press ctrl-D and ctrl-R (ie hold Ctrl key down and press D and R)

Just the ok> prompt should come back, if you get the Copyright message, you
did it wrong.

3) Check it is ok by using command

banner

4) Then use the command just to make sure they are set

set-defaults

5) Then reset just to clear it and recheck all setup

reset

Then you can boot the system and it will have correct machine type and
ethernet address.

Finally as before booting from various disks is no problem, Solaris will boot
from whichever disk you set it up on, either external or internal.

Peter
Peter Stokes
Ashlyn Computer Services
Tel: 01636 627990