[rescue] ZFS Merkle trees/git graph integrity - Re: Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Jun 25 02:26:11 CDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 08:51:38PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 06/24/14 19:31, Toby Thain wrote:
[...]
>> FWIW, ZFS has the same property and the same habit of exposing hardware
>> faults that are hidden by filesystems that don't have integrity checks.
> See "RAID5 write hole".

Seen it? I've experienced it. Which is why I now use ZFS on my fileservers.

I'd use it on my desktop -- well, laptop -- but there's no reliable OSX port.
Time Machine is configured to store its backups on a remote ZFS volume which is
basically a small FreeBSD VM pretending to be a Time Capsule.