[rescue] Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever?

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Tue Jun 24 20:58:24 CDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 05:35:18PM -0400, Carl R. Friend wrote:
> nowadays, in the monoculture of Intel and Linux, everything looks like
> a GNU and GCC is notoriously sloppy about what sorts of code it accepts.

As I mentioned in another message, the BSDs are actively fighting this.
The FreeBSD src tree is built on clang these days, as is much of the
ports tree.  There are efforts both there and in OpenBSD to write
alternatives to the GNU software to be able to build a completely
GNU-free base system.

Another big learning curve was when the AMD 64-bit extensions came in.
It took years for FreeBSD/amd64 ports to get close to parity to 32-bit
mode, but for all but a handful of cases it's mostly there.

FreeBSD runs on sparc64 and powerpc32 and 64 as well, so we've learned
a lot about portability (although not as much as NetBSD).  However, on
those platforms the ports are nowhere near build-parity.

I'll accept "this is too far off-topic for this list" as a response,
fwiw.  This is just stuff that I actively contribute to.  (It's part
of the reason I have the pile of sparcs, powerpcs, and other goodies.)

mcl