[rescue] Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever? WAS:::Re: What to do with the SS20

Andrew Hoerter amh at POBOX.COM
Tue Jun 24 18:31:47 CDT 2014

On 6/24/14, Richard <legalize at xmission.com> wrote:

> Basically, everyone doing new stuff puts it on github and many people
> (like me) are migrating to github.

Unfortunately, many of those people (not necessarily you) aren't
stopping to consider the risks of making a single proprietary service
into the center of gravity for the open source world.  Github didn't
exist 6 years ago, and it may not exist 6 years from now (or even next
week), as the existence of this thread ably demonstrates.  I don't
think it's ridiculous to acknowledge that possibility and express some
healthy skepticism towards using Github.

In the abstract, I don't know of anything that Github does which
couldn't have been implemented in a peer-to-peer fashion without
reliance on a centralized service, with some tradeoffs.  Yes,
distribution of large packages can be a problem, but for that there's
bittorrent, mirror sites, and a wide variety of CDN services which are
all basically fungible for the purpose and not prohibitively
expensive.