[rescue] Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever?

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Tue Jun 24 17:39:45 CDT 2014

In article <53A9F418.7030907 at jones.ec>,
    Andrew Jones <andrew at jones.ec> writes:

> In 2014 we have:
> - two extremely common UNIX-like platforms: Linux and OSX.

...and Windows

> - two extremely common CPU archs: x86_64 and ARM
> - two extremely common compilers: gcc and clang

...and MSVC.

Really, if you care about portability for C/C++, you should be running
your code through MSVC as well.  clang is designed to be gcc
compatible, so it doesn't detect non-portable-but-gcc-ish code the way
MSVC will.

> It's certainly not a monoculture.  It's just not the same ecosystem we
> had twenty years ago.

20 years ago I would routinely make small changes to source
distributions to get it to compile on RISC/os or IRIX.  The "good old
days" weren't as good as everyone mis-remembers them.