[rescue] Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever? WAS:::Re: What to do with the SS20

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Tue Jun 24 16:43:55 CDT 2014

On 06/24/2014 05:40 PM, John Floren wrote:
> I'm pretty sure setting up downloads of specific versions is pretty trivial
> on github, at least to the extent of uploading tarballs. I don't know if it
> was github or elsewhere, but I think I also saw a site where it would
> autogenerate a tarball from a commit of your choosing (as you browsed the
> source on the site)

Jerry's not alone.  Lots of people don't want a clone of all history,
they just want a source tarball for a released version.

Github generates a tarball from a tag of your choosing, with a name or
version number attached.  (A 'tag' in git refers to a single, specific
commit.)

https://help.github.com/articles/creating-releases