[rescue] Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever? WAS:::Re: What to do with the SS20

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc
Tue Jun 24 16:24:52 CDT 2014

On 06/24/14 01:35 PM, Richard wrote:
> In article <20140623062956.GA8562 at zoho.com>,
>      microcode at zoho.com writes:
>
>> [...] And agreed, sourceforge has gone from bad to worse.
>
> Basically, everyone doing new stuff puts it on github and many people
> (like me) are migrating to github.
>
>> I'm really surprised that a giant resource like freshmeat could go away
>> without somebody or some group stepping in to save it.
>
> I never used freshmeat myself, although I heard about it many times.
>
> Could you get what you're looking for from github?

Could I get want I want from github?  I don't think so, at least not in a less
painful process than using SourceForge.

Among other things, I primarily do network and Unix administration.  When I
download source code to compile, I want it to be in the form of a tar.Z, or
tar.bz2 or .... you get the idea.

If I was a developer, or was closer to it than writing lots of scripts in shell,
Perl, TCL/Expect... and so on, I would probably be more tolerant.

 From my perspective, many times I may be responding to a production issue,
where my DNS servers are running (made up version) BIND 20.4, and I need to
download the new version, 20.5, which includes the necessary security fix.  I
want a specific release .tar.Z file.

There are probably other walks of life in an IT career, where it probably makes
more sense to pull code from a versioning software system.  I understand that
the world is a lot bigger than me.   But right now, from the perspective of a
person who does network and Unix administration plus administers classical
Internet type applications, i.e. web, SMTP, DNS, etc, I don't ever see a
versioning tool as a place to acquire source code to be a step forward for me.