[rescue] Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever?

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jun 24 15:18:09 CDT 2014

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014, microcode at zoho.com wrote:

>> Git is available for many platforms; there is nothing specific to Linux
>> about git or github.
>
> It seems to me that git is very much based on the idea that Linux is all
> there is (not all that surprising considering its history) and is hard to
> build anywhere else. Have you tried building it from source on another
> platform?

I have.  It wasn't hard.

Linux is probably the only platform where I don't run git, as I generally
don't use Linux.

Hell, I run a current-ish git on HP-UX 10!

> I think the fact that Git requires quite a few gnu pieces to build,
> including bash does mean it is Linux specific.

See above and s/git/bash/g. :)

> I found it very difficult to get a complete build of Git on Solaris 10
> because of Git's reliance on gcc-isms and gnu prereqs.

If only there were gcc builds for Solaris!

> I eventually got the code built but the doc would not build. I had to
> download and install the man pages separately and that was not all the
> doc you would get if the build had worked. I did this in a zone for a
> developer who asked for git because he was working on a project on Linux
> that was supposed to work on Solaris but didn't. It took more time to
> get Git working than fixing the code problem.

Or a git package for Solaris!

--
Jonathan Patschke | "Do the difficult things while they are easy and do
Elgin, TX         |  the great things while they are small."