[rescue] Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever?

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Tue Jun 24 13:55:17 CDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:35:08PM -0600, Richard wrote:
> In article <20140623062956.GA8562 at zoho.com>,
>     microcode at zoho.com writes:
>
> > [...] And agreed, sourceforge has gone from bad to worse.
>
> Basically, everyone doing new stuff puts it on github and many people
> (like me) are migrating to github.

Isn't that only for source that is hosted in git? That rules out just about
everything but Linux code.

> > I'm really surprised that a giant resource like freshmeat could go away
> > without somebody or some group stepping in to save it.
>
> I never used freshmeat myself, although I heard about it many times.
>
> Could you get what you're looking for from github?

I don't know. freshmeat hosted a lot of stuff but was also an aggregator. If
the person didn't want to host files on freshmeat they could point to their
own website or ftp server, etc. The search was pretty nice. I think you
could choose by license, by platform, language, topic keywords, etc.

And it was for all kinds of open source stuff for many platforms, not just
Linux.