[rescue] What to do with the SS20

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Mon Jun 23 10:49:05 CDT 2014

On 06/23/14 11:18, Mouse wrote:
>>> As long are you are happy with 8bpp in the console and only want
>>> 24bpp for X then any version of NetBSD/sparc post 2009 should be
>>> good  :)
>> Does NetBSD support console on Sun framebuffers yet?
>
> It always has, as far as I can recall, if you're content with using ROM
> console I/O.
>
>> Last time I tried that, around 2005, with both NetBSD and FreeBSD, I
>> was told (pretty much in so many words) "No, nor do we intend to.
>> Why should we?  Piss off."
>
> Interesting.  I suspect you were misunderstood somehow; I can't account
> for such a response any other way.

I was surprised myself.  The closest I got to a useful answer was
"Nobody uses Sun consoles.  Use a serial console."  Which answer assumed
I had another machine there that I could serial-console to it from ...
which I didn't, or I'd have been using serial console.

So then I tried OpenBSD, and it Just Worked.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net