[rescue] What to do with the SS20

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Mon Jun 23 07:54:04 CDT 2014

>> NetBSD and OpenBSD lack proper cgfourteen support.

If it'd help - I'm not sure what you count as "proper" cgfourteen
support - I've written a cg14 ddx layer that supports 24bpp and 8bpp on
the same screen - or, if you pass the right options, just an 8bpp
screen (this form is suitable for, eg, 1920x1080 with a 4M VSIMM).

It's for X11R6.4p3, which is relatively old - but some of the things
more recent X brings, like GL support, are things an SS20 is unlikely
to be put to work doing anyway.  I don't know how hard it would be to
fit it into a more recent server, but anyone who cares to try is
certainly welcome to.

My X patch tree is up on ftp.rodents-montreal.org; see
/mouseware/local-src/X11/patches,
/mouseware/local-src/X11/patches/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/cg14 for the
cg14 layer in particular.

It does need a few changes to the kernel driver.  These are available
in a git repo; clone
git://git.rodents-montreal.org/Mouse/netbsd-fork/1.4T/src and look for
changes affecting sys/arch/sparc/dev/cgfourteen{.c,{reg,var}.h} - the
commits in question are

* 440d96c Rework the cg14 driver for SPARC.  Now actually works in practice.
* 602ed07 Control CG14_CG8 through kernel config, not a line in cgfourteen.c.
* 8aa452f Enable CG14_MAP_REGS for the cg14 on SS10/SS20.
* 583a6bb Improve autoconf-time reporting for the cg14 on sparc.
* 0fed614 In the cg14 driver, zero the xlut correctly.
* fdd9997 Trailing-whitespace cleanup.

You probably should read the full log messages, especially for 8aa452f;
proper documentation on the cg14 would help greatly there.

If it would help, I can also extract diffs and make them available
separately.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org