[rescue] What to do with the SS20

r.stricklin bear at typewritten.org
Mon Jun 23 03:37:44 CDT 2014

On Jun 22, 2014, at 5:37 PM, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> " Sun introduced multiprocessor support in SunOS 4.1.2, IIRC, partly in
> " response to Solbourne (IMHO). The SPARCserver 600MP models were out and
> " 4.1.2 supported them well before the first harrowingly unstable Solaris
> " 2 release, so I don't think the MP support was a secret.
>
> yes, but it didn't run on ss20s or ross cpus.  i'm curious if it runs
> on the sparc powerup enhanced sun4c, or only proper sun-branded cpus.

In fact, it was intended to run on the SM100 modules, which were dual Cypress
(Ross) RT601s. This module is the only official way to do MP with SunOS 4
AFAIR. You could put two in an 600MP (or SS10, or SS20 even) to get four
processors, but the SM100 is so wet that it is a bit like winning twenty cents
in the lottery.

The 40 MHz RT601 on the SM100 is the same CPU as used in an SS2, but QFP
packaged instead of PGA. So, you can't put a PowerUP on an SM100.

Perhaps you meant 4.1 didn't support MP with HyperSPARC or SuperSPARC? That
would be correct.

ok
bear.

--