[rescue] What to do with the SS20

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Sat Jun 21 23:46:23 CDT 2014

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 11:43 PM, Jonathan Katz <jon at jonworld.com> wrote:
> I was fishing for either 1) know-how on getting SunOS to play well
> with Ross HyperSparc CPUs (if there is different CD media needed) or

luser error. I have some old Toshiba 3301/3401 CD-ROM drives. I
thought they had the appropriate mods for 512-byte blocks. They don't.
The one that I thought was working is dead. The 2nd one I worked to
cut the trace on, and cut an extra trace rendering it broken.

http://www.retrocomputing.net/parts/sun/ss10/cdrom_faq.htm

Now I'm off to find a proper 512-byte block Sun-bootable CD. This
issue never hit me before because everything I ran was 2.5.1 or later
off these drives, and those kernels (and my later PROM) never made it
an issue. Even though my 2.25 PROM is good with 2048-byte blocks, the
SunOS boot loader is not.