[rescue] What to do with the SS20

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Sat Jun 21 20:37:43 CDT 2014

All,

In the past I've posted about my Sparc 20. I finally found a VSIMM For
it; I have a working CD-ROM now, etc. It's got dual Ross 150Mhz CPUs
in it, the max of 384M of RAM, etc.

The goal is to use it as an Xdisplay with some utility. Ideally with
OpenLook or olvwm as a WM. A plus would be having a modern JVM local.
If I could compile a lightweight browser and/or have one locally that
works, that would be great, otherwise I can run one on my Linux server
and display it to the Sparc 20.

What OSes does that leave me with?

SunOS 4.1.4 gives me the vintage street cred, but no JVM. It also
won't boot on my system with dual Ross CPUs. Does anyone have a proper
ISO or similar of SunOS that will do SMP & Ross CPUs?

*BSD but no JVM. OpenBSD doesn't do SMP on sparc. NetBSD and OpenBSD
lack proper cgfourteen support. They're out.

Solaris 9 doesn't have OLWM.

Solaris 8 would be the way to go. Oracle has JVM for Solaris sparc 32
bit available for download, but how old an OS will it install on? Even
2.5.1?

Of course, now I have to find Solaris 8 media. Hah!

--
-Jon
Jonathan Katz, Indianapolis, IN.