[rescue] So I Got This Old Sun

Jason T silent700 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 19:29:01 CDT 2014

Hoping to bring some knowledge out of the woodwork here...I have
acquired what is, in any case, quite a relic, but I suspect there is
much more to learn about it:

http://silent700.blogspot.com/2014/06/leads-always-follow-them.html

In short, I stumbled upon a Sun-1.  It's the rackmount version, the
1/150, but it has a strange model name on the ID plate which appears
to be "RM-CC" or "RM-0C."  It has a very early serial number but I
can't determine if that was its first number or the result of an
upgrade or refurb.  It appears to contain a Sun-2 CPU board so,
according to what I've read, should be ID'd as a 1/150U.  I've read
nothing about re-assigning a serial, however.

I was told that Sun-1 serial numbers began at 013, due to there being
12 employees at the time.  Again, I have no idea if this machine's
serial number is original or not.  It was sold to the University of
Chicago, who I believe were among the first purchasers of Sun
products.  They are said to still have S/N 13 (in theory the "first"
Sun made) in their posession but I have no first-hand knowledge.

I am supposed to be put in touch with the original curator of this
machine, from which I hope to learn a lot more about its history.  For
now, enjoy the pics and please share whatever info you may have...

- jht