[rescue] Sun Ray 150

Arno Kletzander Arno_1983 at gmx.de
Wed Jul 16 06:23:36 CDT 2014

Richard <legalize at xmission.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have Sun Ray thin clients in their collection?

(finger points up) Here, for one. I think I've got some 1s and 2s (or is it 1s and 1Gs? Basically some with VGA out and CVBS in connector and some with DVI out only.)
Got those from a University junk box, mostly because of bad electrolytics in the (internal, switching) PS, and managed to get them working again.

> How do they differ from a traditional X terminal?
>
> Is it difficult to obtain the necessary host software?

Don't know, I never tried as I'm not running Solaris anywhere. I briefly looked for some Information on getting them going under Linux or *BSD, or even Windoze.
Only thing I found out is that there was/is some reverse engineering effort going on, a nice starting point seems to be http://www.leonerd.org.uk/sunray/.
Unfortunately I don't have that much spare time lately, as I'm basically still interested in working up something that can talk to them from these environments.
I'd try to cobble up an experimental "Server" process, perhaps in FreeBASIC as there is TCP and UDP networking support for it - round-tuit supply allowing ;)

Would be nice to get something off the ground, hope it works out.
So Long,
Arno