[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 134, Issue 13

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Jan 16 12:40:51 CST 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:19 PM, <microcode at zoho.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 10:42:31AM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > It's just that TVs are way more common than desktop PCs, so the cheap LCD
> > panels from TVs become cheap desktop LCD monitors.
>
> I didn't think of that since it's been decades since I had a TV but it
> makes
> some amount of sense. Still, given Windows' death-grip on the desktop
> market
> (whatever that means today) it does seem the vast majority of people with
> PCs are watching movies, not coding.

I don't use Windows much or watch many movies, but having a monitor that
matches my human field of view is sorta nice.

 > I solved the vertial resolution problem by getting a 4k monitor for my
> PC.
> >  2160 pixels of vertical resolution give me plenty of lines for
> terminals,
> > and 3840 pixels of width give me space for lots of tall terminals (and
> web
> > browser windows, etc).  The only trick is getting a video card that can
> > actually drive a 4k display at a reasonable rate.
>
> I have no idea what that is but it sounds like I would still want to tilt
> it
> sideways. I figured out my productivity goes up in proportion the number of
> lines of code on the screen (given I can read them) and I'm already used to
> logical screens for different things so I don't mind using all of the
> screen
> real estate for one piece of code or two, split horizontally, then other
> logical screens for other things like dumps, spool, etc. I realize my use
> is
> not typical though. Bottom line for me is the wide screens I have are not
> very useful and I feel I wasted money, not that I had an alternative in the
> same price bracket.

So, the monitor I'm referring to is 34" wide.  I don't see how you could
possibly sit close enough to the monitor to read the text, and have all of
a ~3ft tall display fit within your field of view.  The 19" height of mine
in a normal landscape configuration is too tall for me to see all of at
once, and can show me more than 120 lines of text in a terminal.   I find
I'm more likely to have a few different terminals open that I look back and
forth between rather than needing to ingest >200 lines ot code at once.

As a quick test, I was able to easily fit 18 (6 wide x 3 tall) 80x40
terminals on the display at once.

Pat