[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 134, Issue 13

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Jan 16 09:42:31 CST 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 2:00 AM, <microcode at zoho.com> wrote:

> Yes.
>
> The widescreen thing is all about media isn't it? I would love to see all
> screens tall and not as wide. Sideways would be perfect. You get much more
> code on the screen at one time. Even the dumps I work with don't require
> *that* much width.
>
> "Computers" aren't for coding anymore, they're entertainment appliances!

It's just that TVs are way more common than desktop PCs, so the cheap LCD
panels from TVs become cheap desktop LCD monitors.

I solved the vertial resolution problem by getting a 4k monitor for my PC.
 2160 pixels of vertical resolution give me plenty of lines for terminals,
and 3840 pixels of width give me space for lots of tall terminals (and web
browser windows, etc).  The only trick is getting a video card that can
actually drive a 4k display at a reasonable rate.

I have a few older monitors that I use for various things, but the main
reason I've kept gettiing newer LCD monitors at this point, is that
anything with less than a 1920x1080 resolution just doesn't have enough
pixels compared to what I'm used to for a monitor that I would use on a
primary workstation.

And, I think it's telling that the 4k monitor I got (39" Seiki 4k TV) at
$420 is almost exactly what I spent on a Dell 18" 1800FP back when they
came out >10 years ago.  (And yes, I still have the 1800FP.)  A 39" monitor
may seem a bit big, but the dpi is higher than my previous monitors, and
the edges of the monitor end up with things I want to leave open to glance
at, with most of what I'm working on being right in front of me.

Pat