[rescue] Installing OS on Sun Ultra 25 workstation

Sean Tedio seantedio at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 22:28:26 CST 2014

So now that this system seems to be running (thanks again) it would be
nice to get an OS installed. I downloaded and burned the image located
here:

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.3.0/sparc/iso-cd/debian-7.3.0-sparc-netinst.iso

I first put the image on a usb stick (using unetbootin) but I couldn't
see the usb stick when doing a 'show-disks':

ok show-disks
a) /pci at 1e,600000/pci at 0/pci at 9/pci at 0/scsi at 1/disk
b) /pci at 1e,600000/pci at 0/pci at 1/pci at 0/ide at 1f/cdrom
c) /pci at 1e,600000/pci at 0/pci at 1/pci at 0/ide at 1f/disk
q) NO SELECTION

I installed 2 500GB SATA drives so I was also surprised to only see 1 scsi disk.

So then I burned the image to a CD and tried to boot it:

ok boot cdrom
Boot device: /pci at 1e,600000/pci at 0/pci at 1/pci at 0/ide at 1f/cdrom at 0,0:f  File and args:
Can't read disk label.
Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device

So now I'm stuck. While I'm here I might as well ask should I be
looking at something like OpenIndiana instead of Linux?

Thanks,

-Sean